In recent months I have been made aware of twelve Baptist/Bible churches in New England that are in need of pastors. Some pastors have resigned for various reasons, while others are retiring after many faithful years of ministry. Those twelve churches are comprised of many believers in Jesus Christ – sheep who are in need of someone to shepherd them.
While Jesus is the Chief Shepherd, He calls men to shepherd His flock on this earth. Faithfully feeding them the Word of God is of primary importance. Caring for them, loving them, leading them, and equipping them are also necessary components of ministry. My heart is burdened for these church bodies. No doubt, there are many other churches that you may know of in need of a pastor as well.
I ask you to commit yourselves to pray for these ministries. I offer the following suggestions to pray for:
- Pray for God to protect each flock as they search for a new pastor. Without a leader, it can be a time of disunity and dysfunction within a church body.
- Pray for God’s Spirit to rule the hearts of each church member. This is a crucial time for each church to walk in the Spirit rather than their fleshly pursuits.
- Pray for God to direct each pastoral search team. Pray for wisdom in discerning whom God desires to be their next pastor.
- Pray for God’s man to lead each of these churches for many years to come.
- Pray for God’s glory to be displayed through the process of the pastoral search.
New England needs men who are faithful to God’s Word, conservative in ministry philosophy and practice, committed to longevity in ministry, and who will lovingly lead God’s people down paths of righteousness for the Lord’s sake. Will you pray with me regarding these churches?